There is something that's been bothering me for several years. Now that I have a blog, I figure it's the perfect place to get it off my chest.
Let's discuss the use of the words "I" and "me." It seems like I rarely hear them used properly. People say "I" when they should say "me." I just read a blog post where someone said something about their "English major mind" and then in the next post they said "I" when it should have been "me." I think that was the last straw that finally made me write this post. That, in combination with the fact that I spent over three hours yesterday cleaning up an entire gallon of paint that Audrey spilled on the carpet. It was in the upstairs hallway and it dripped downstairs and made another huge puddle on the bottom step and floor. Paint was everywhere. I still haven't managed to shake off that super-annoyed feeling. So, feeling annoyed...seeing an English major use my pet peeve of grammar...it brought me to this. Now, I am not an English major. I am probably the opposite, if there is such a thing. I did, however, pay attention in Mrs. Boccia's sixth grade English class. But I'll have to admit, that blog got me wondering if someone changed the English language and didn't tell me about it. It turns out they didn't. Grammar girl confirmed that for me.
So here's what America needs to know. When you are the subject, you say "I." When you are the object, you say "me." Here are some examples:
Subject: I went to the store.
Object: She gave it to me.
You knew that, right? Now, where people are getting confused is when there's another person involved. However, the rule stays the same.
Subject: Greg and I went to the store.
Object: She gave it to Greg and me.
Notice it is not "She gave it to Greg and I." That is the mistake that everyone makes. If you're ever unsure, just think of what you would say if you were the only person. Let's do this, America (or at least the five people that read this blog)!
*Note: I do not know why this text is giant and I have tried to get rid of it about five times!
Thursday, March 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I think it's hilarious that your text giant at the end. It feels like your anger was building and you started yelling at the end. It's kind of perfect.
I don't think I and me is one of my English speaking/writing problems, but I know I have a few. And a few of my own pet peeves. I think it's funny that you wrote a post about yours. :)
So sorry about the 3 hours of paint clean-up. I definitely feel your frustration on the never ending damage control segment of our day job.
Anyway, you're hilarious. I enjoyed this post very much.
Oh! What a mess! Can't imagine anything more difficult to clean up than spilled paint - yuck!
I better pay attention to my grammar ;*)
ME
Did I spur this on yesterday at church when I couldn't figure out what was the right way to say it? I know that I say it wrong all the time and try to correct myself.
I hope that we can still be friends even though I do not know how to talk right...hehehe
Post a Comment