Saturday, June 25, 2011

Color Dilemma

I mentioned in a recent post that I wanted to paint the piano. Well, I finally got it sanded and primed. I was planning on painting it white. I thought about painting it some cool accent color but decided on white because:





a) I never, ever want to have to paint it again. White would go with whatever I do with the decor in that room.



b) I've never been good with color. Even when I used to do art I felt like I wasn't good with color and preferred to work in black and white. So if I were to paint it some other color, I wouldn't know what to pick. And I'm not gutsy with color either.


c) I like white. Seriously, it's one of my favorite colors. I love that light, airy, beachy look.


Soooooooo . . . seeing the piano covered in white primer is making me have second thoughts about the white paint. I don't know why it's not working for me. Is it because the hardware is dark? Or because the wall is such a light color? Is it just becuase it's the primer coat and it will look better painted? Is it just too much white (can there be such a thing?)?




So here's what's going on in the rest of the room. (Ignore the toys. We're keeping it real here.)






I have my new ivory sofa that I love. I was thinking of getting white drapes. Again, white to keep it airy and since I would need six panels over 100 inches long (expensive!) I don't want them to be a color or pattern that I will get tired of in a few years. Then there's the greenish rug that I had in my old house. I still like it but I feel a bit restricted color-wise because of it. Do I keep it and work with it? Move it to my bedroom and make it work there? Then I would have to buy a new rug for the living room. Selling things makes me very uncomfortable so craigslist isn't an option. Accent pillows and wall color are easy and cheap to change. I've been thinking about painting the walls a medium gray flat paint and then doing an all-over stencil pattern in the same color but high gloss.



So what color should I paint the piano? What should I do with the rug? Any other suggestions for the room? My favorite designers are Candice Olson and Sarah Richardson, if you want to know what my style is. And my other favorite color besides white is blue, especially the light aqua kind.

9 comments:

Eric and Hilary said...

i think the walls would look so good gray with a glossy gray pattern! then the piano would look great in a glossy white! (you probably don't like it right now because it isn't glossy maybe? and it probably would look better if the hardware was white too!) the couch is perfect. i'd say move the carpet to your room and get a new carpet. then get some accent pillows in that light aqua blue color that you love! and maybe you could get a cushion for the piano bench in that color too.

leslie said...

if the walls are gray the piano would look great white. :)

nichole said...

Can I just paint right over the hardware? I painted a desk before and took off the hardware, sanded them lightly, spray painted primer and then spray painted them silver. It's chipping now. Any ideas?

Jennilyn said...

Hardware: sand lightly, prime, paint, and then POLYURETHANE and high use lasts 3 years before touch up needed, from my experience. The final protective coat really helps.
But I like your black hardware on piano, and would go with the white and GREY walls with pattern! Sounds beautiful! So you didn't take the piano all apart???? Just painted as is?

nichole said...

Ah, polyurethane. I'll try that.
I didn't take the piano apart at all. Should I have?

Likely said...

I would like to see that piano color next your couch. I think the bright white might clash. Isn't it more creamy?? I would try and match those colors. I don't think it's bad to have different whites going on in the same room but sticking to the same whites in the furniture would give more fluidity. I love the gray on the walls idea... I think what you have is too yellow right now for the direction you are going....

My friend serena painted her piano a beautiful light gray. I am in love with it. You can look through her blog and find a picture somewhere :) I know there are a few. http://lanecherry.blogspot.com

I still haven't painted any color in my house. I am afraid. I want to do a pattern in my entry way. I have seen some really cool stencils around...

nichole said...

I was wondering if a white piano would clash with the ivory couch. Serena's piano is beautiful. Should I do the piano gray instead of the walls? The color of her piano and walls look really good together.

Can I go with white curtains or should they be off-white? I just haven't figured out the method of mixing vs. matching.

seven smiles said...

so I don't know if you'll see this...you posted your dilemma a while ago.

my two cents: paint the walls gray and the piano a light aqua. If your couch is ivory, don't do completely white curtains--you don't have to do full-on ivory, but gently lean that way.

I'm surprised to hear that you have any decorating dilemmas at all. Your house always looks put together so well.

good luck!

kim said...

I'm a little late to the party, but my thoughts are:
-the gray/aqua/white theme sounds great, but your rug won't work. I like to start with the "big" pieces and work my way backward color-wise. By this I mean find a new area rug that you like and choose colors from that for your walls.
-maybe it's the starkness of the pure white piano you don't like? what about just a touch of a dark glaze over the white to "shabby" it up a bit? just a touch though.
-plain white draperies... I don't know
-shelby did patterned walls with flat & high gloss paint in her powder room- LOOKS GREAT- go for it!!