Those of you that have been following this blog can probably tell that over the last several weeks I have been working on my family home storage. I'm not really sure what brought it on, I've always known that we should have it. Maybe it's been the increasing natural disasters happening in this country, or the shaky economy, or just a desire to be prepared for whatever might come my way. But I've just felt the need to add more food and water to our supply. I even received criticism from (ahem) a newly-acquired family member who thinks the idea of an emergency supply of food and water is ridiculous. Yesterday I had an experience that strengthened my testimony of food storage. My next door neighbors returned home from a weekend trip to find that they had no water running in their house. We were able to give them four gallons of water from our supply. I have to admit, I've wondered if part of the reason why we've been told to store so much is that we will have to share with others who didn't build their supply. And I've wondered how I would feel about giving away things that I spent my money and precious storage space in my small house on. Well, it felt great. It was such a small thing that we were able to do but I think it helped them in a big way.
So if you've been putting off creating your own family home storage, don't be afraid to start doing it today! And always remember—follow the prophet...he knows the way!
Monday, October 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
GREAT post Nichole. I have the same thought. We're probably going to end up sharing our supply and I've wondered how I'll feel about that. I'm happy to know you felt great doing it. Good for you in your efforts to stock up. We're set in the dry pack stuff and water, but lacking in the more immediately helpful items. Thanks for the gentle shove to get going!
I definitely think its important. Just take my family's experience with the hurricane. I know they were grateful they had plenty of food and water when the stores were closed and couldn't get anything. And they shared with neighbors too! I think our leaders are probably telling us all this for a reason...
Our problem is we have no where to put anything in a tiny apartment! So, we have water in two liter bottles on top of our kitchen cabinets. It makes for nice decorations...
That is a great post! Thanks for sharing your experiences. I have been wondering why I feel so strongly about doing this. And it is good to know that you don't feel angry about sharing. You know how I am with food, so I have been very worried about that!
Post a Comment