Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Before & After: Carolyn's Dresser

Before: Cheap, ugly Wal-Mart dresser that we bought as newlyweds.



After: Same cheap dresser with added trim, paint, and new hardware.


I would have liked to use bigger trim but it would've cost twice as much and I didn't think this dresser was worth that much of an investment. I ordered the hardware on eBay. If you ever need drawer or cabinet hardware, check eBay first! It cost probably a third of what I would've paid at Home Depot. Plus I got free shipping. Overall, I think it turned out pretty nice. It definitely gives her room a different feel. Now I need to paint her walls and get some color behind it.

5 comments:

rebecca said...

Nice job! The trim makes a huge difference! Thanks for the tip on ebay for hardware. I need some backpack/jacket hooks.

lmk1411 said...

Wow! I love all your projects! And your money saving tips. You are so creative, you'll have to come visit/decorate for us sometime! It looks really nice and their bedroom walls turns out amazing too.

Jess and Jason said...

Looks totally different!

Likely said...

I loved this. I realized that I never commented, although I saw it a while ago. I even sent a link to it to David because we are going to trim up and paint a vanity. What kind of paint did you use? Your paint job looks really good.

nichole said...

I used Olympic semi-gloss white, which I would not recommend. It was left over from Molly and Audrey's room and I had the hardest time with coverage. It took about 4 or 5 coats to do those walls. I gave the dresser two coats of primer so coverage wasn't an issue this time but that way I didn't have to buy more paint. My sister likes the Behr paint and primer in one but every time I've used Behr, the color turns out darker and/or brighter than I thought. Even their white seems a little too...white. But it is a high quality paint.

I would also recommend using a brush and not a roller so you get a nice smooth finish.