Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Bishop Cookies

I had a request to post this recipe after Jennilyn said on her blog that it's now one of their family favorites. It's from The Essential Mormon Cookbook (Great cookbook, by the way. One of my faves. Everything in there is delicious but very fattening.) and the full title of them is "Chocolate Caramel Bars for the Bishop."

These have no nutritional value.

1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup plus 2 T butter or margarine, melted
1 (14-ounce) bag caramels (48)
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 (12-ounce) package milk chocolate chips

In a large bowl combine first 6 ingredients to form a crumbly mixture. Unwrap caramels. Melt caramels and whipping cream in a saucepan over low heat. Sprinkle half of crumbly mixture into a greased 9x13-inch pan. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes. Sprinkle chocolate chips over baked mixture and top with melted caramel mixture. Sprinkle remaining crumbly mixture on top. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Make a day ahead or several hours ahead to allow time for caramel to set.

When I made it, I used whole milk instead of whipping cream and semi-sweet instead of milk chocolate chips. And I might've even used quick oats instead of old-fashioned because that's what I usually buy.

4 comments:

Jess and Jason said...

I have made these twice. They are incredible! The last pan I made was eaten within 6hours. And there were only 6 adults, and multiple children. It was sickening, but absolutely delicious.

Last time I made them I bought the caramel bits that aren't wrapped. It made it so much easier.

leslie said...

Thank you Nichole! ;)

Likely said...

I expect all of you to be dropping these by my house in the near future.

ha ha. They sound delicious.

landbeck said...

The first time Jennilyn made these, she told the kids Nichole's name for them. It was a chorus of tears, because they thought the cookies were all going to the Bishop! :) Of course, now we feel guilty that none of them have gone to him yet.