Lately I have been feeling like I need to feed my family better--more nutrients, less chemicals. It all started when I bought a wheat grinder a couple months ago. A bunch of sisters in the ward were getting together and ordering them to get a group discount. I thought, "Don't know what I'll ever do with a wheat grinder but we're supposed to have one, right?" So I bought it. Then a couple weeks ago we had a very informative enrichment entitled "From My Grinder to My Table: How to Use My Wheat." It was my light bulb moment. I found out that things made with whole wheat can be light and delicious and not heavy and, well, wheaty. I also learned that you can make yogurt from powdered milk and we had the most amazing buttermilk pancakes ever, which were made with yogurt.
So last week I decided to pull out my wheat grinder and grind some wheat. I felt so country and old-fashioned, like a real Mormon woman. So far I've only made pizza and the amazing buttermilk pancakes with it. I have a wheat cracker recipe that I'm going to make as soon as I have a chance. I want to start making bread to make the kids' sandwiches so they won't be getting all those preservatives and high fructose corn syrup and whatever else is in there, but we'll see if I actually get to that point. As for the homemade yogurt, I'm going to try that when I use up the store-bought container that I already have. I've also found several recipes that use dry milk, including blue cheese dressing that I'm especially excited to try because it also uses plain yogurt! Stay tuned for more of my adventures in food storage cooking...
Monday, September 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Yay! Share your buttermilk pancake recipe. I am a wheat grinder owner, non-user. :)
I didn't know you had a blog until I saw it linked on Leslie's - how fun! I hope you don't mind that I linked to you :)
I just wanted to say that I have a book that you might be interested in reading. A couple of friends had recommended it to me and I am almost finished with it. It is called In Defense of Food. I checked it out from the HdG library actually. The author is not a member of the church, but his theories fall right in line with the Word of Wisdom. I think you will find it interesting if this topic interests you (healthy eating in our high fructose corn syrup world).
I also have a GREAT article on the Word of Wisdom that I can email you. I think actually going to blog about it soon. The Word of Wisdom has been in the forefront of my mind lately.
Sorry my comment is so long. I am sad that I missed that enrichment meeting. I was out of town. I need to get copies of those recipes. Was it Sister Wright and Namauu that taught it?
I haven't used my grinder yet, I need to buy some wheat :) You are steps ahead of me! Way to go.
The above comment is Tiffany, from church, if you didn't know.
You'll have to post (or email) your pancake recipe to me. And also the homemade yogurt recipe. Tell me how the yogurt goes.... Where did you order your grinder from?
Post a Comment