Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Pancakes That Actually Have Nutritional Value!

Buttermilk Pancakes
This is Marjorie's recipe.

Mix:
2 eggs, beaten
2-4 Tbsp. oil
2 cups buttermilk or yogurt

Add and mix:
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt

The key to them not being wheaty is to put your wheat grinder on the finest setting (mine is "The Kitchen Mill" from Blendtec) to grind the wheat. I've made these twice now and it's a very thick batter--you'll need to spread it on the pan with the back of a spoon. I also add a touch of vanilla. Something I haven't tried yet, and would love to hear how it goes if somebody does, is what I usually substitute for buttermilk--a couple tablespoons lemon juice or vinegar and cup of milk and let it sit for a few minutes.

I made yogurt this morning and it is incubating right now! I'll let you know how it turns out.

1 comment:

Jessica L said...

Nichole, I am so impressed with your mad homemaking skills! You are my new hero. :)