Thursday, September 11, 2008

Banana Bread Recipe

I Can't Believe it's Reduced-Fat Whole-Wheat Banana Bread
This is from the Sun and it says courtesy of recipezaar.com

Makes 2 loaves

1/3 cup canola oil
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup honey
3 tsp. vanilla extract
4 eggs
5 ripe bananas, mashed (or lightly pureed)
3 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 cup turbinado sugar or brown sugar or honey
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup hot water
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
In a large bowl, thoroughly combine oil, applesauce, honey and vanilla together. Add eggs and beat well. Stir in bananas. Add flour, baking powder, cinnamon, sugar, salt and nutmeg, stirring gently to combine ingredients.
Add baking soda to hot water. Stir to mix, then add to batter. Blend in walnuts. Stir just until smooth.
Pour batter into 2 greased standard-size loaf pans. Bake for 60 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to cool on cooling rack for at least 1 hour before serving.

2 comments:

HolliJo said...

Okay. So I think you are amazing. I wish I actually knew how to make cool things like this. The extent of my cooking is the same dinners over and over and cookies... good thing Kevin doesn't really care. One time, you will have to teach me all these amazing things... like how to grind your own wheat?! (Which by the way is soo cool!). Keep up the good work :)!

Jess and Jason said...

Thanks for the recipe. I will make it as soon as I get my wheat grinder!